Thursday, June 24, 2004

 

The Cooler

I just watched The Cooler, with William H. Macy, Alec Baldwin, and Maria Bello. I thought it was a pretty good film, although (without spoiling anything for those who haven't seen it) the ending was a bit weak.

I'm not here to review the film, though. No, I just wanted to point out a little thing that screenwriters do sometimes that really pisses me off. And they did it in The Cooler.

Again, I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll keep this brief: Macy's character, Bernie, at one point reveals to his new girlfriend that his limp is the result of a guy shattering his kneecap years ago because of a gambling debt. Incredulous, she replies "I thought that kind of thing only happened in the movies."

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

I can't think of any other examples of this lazy trick off the top of my head, probably because I've tried to suppress the horrible memories. But I have seen it a bunch of times, and I still hate it every single time I'm watching a movie and one of the characters echoes a moronic statement like the one above. If everybody involved is doing a good job, I should be so wrapped up in the story and the characters that I'm not thinking about the fact that I'm watching a work of fiction. The Cooler was doing just that: I was engrossed by the film, and really enjoying things. Then they had to go and spoil it. I just don't need some character reminding me in the middle of a film that I am, in fact, watching a film.

I can't be the only person that's bothered by this, can I?

Comments:
I am with you on this. I hate that joke, even if I laugh at it. Ton of films like Gremlins 2, Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back have tried this trick and it always irritates me.

Although I must admit, it did make me laugh when Hulk Hogan stood up in the theater and yelled at the Gremlins.
 
A lot of what Hulk Hogan does makes me laugh, except for when he makes a comedy. Then it's not very funny.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?