Tuesday, June 22, 2004

 

You've Got Questions?

I had to go into Radio Shack today. You've seen the commercials. Their slogan is "You've Got Questions? We've Got Answers." They should change it to "You've Got Questions? Shit, so do we. Now what?" I swear, every time I go into this place I pray that I can get in, grab what I need, pay, and get out, before the salesman tries to "help." I'm not sure what qualifications you need to get a job at this place, but clearly a knowledge of how electronics work is not a pre-requisite. Gee whiz, why would you need to know anything about electronics to work in a store that sells NOTHING BUT ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT??!!

True story: Last year, my wife bought home an old TV set from her Dad's house. Being an old set, it didn't have a cable ready (coaxial) connection in the back where you stick in the cable wire. "No problem," I thought. "I know that they make a neat little adaptor that you can attach to the back of old TVs that has the connection I need." So off I went to the Shack. I walked into the store and immediately made the cardinal mistake of telling the clown behind the counter what I was looking for. The conversation went something like this:
Jackass: "Can I help you?"
Me: "I just picked up an old TV, but it's not cable ready. I need to get the adaptor to put on the back so I can hook my cable box to the TV."
Jackass: "What do you mean it's not cable ready?"
Me (already disturbed, because I can see where this is headed): "It's not cable ready. It doesn't have the coaxial connection in the back to put the cable wire into. I need an adaptor."
Jackass: "What?"

At this point I grabbed the nearest stereo speaker from the display shelf and pummelled the stupid bastard into oblivion. Actually, what I did was leave the store and drive to the Radio Shack in the next town. You see, where I live, we don't have a single decent movie theatre, but we are blessed with THREE Radio Shacks within 10 minutes of each other.

Tune in tomorrow to see if I ever got the adaptor, plus EVEN MORE stupidity!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?