Wednesday, July 06, 2005

 

Nothing Doing

I know I haven't updated in a while, but I really haven't had much to say. This is the busy season for the little town I live in, so my life has mostly consisted of sleep and work for the past month, and will continue in that vein for the next two.

That being said, I have managed to get to my friendly neighborhood cinema several times over the past few weeks to catch a few flicks. Always eager for an easy way to fill up this space, here are my thoughts on what I've seen so far this summer at the movies.

STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH: A fantastic end to the space saga. I thought everything ended up being tied together very nicely, and George Lucas did a fine job of bridging the gap between this trilogy and the original. Not much to complain about.

BATMAN BEGINS: Wow. I loved the Tim Burton films, but this just blew the crap out of them. Everything you could possibly want from a Batman film. Joel Schumacher should watch this, then go invent a time machine so he can travel to the past and kill his younger self before he makes "Batman and Robin." Actually, good news, Mr. Schumacher: You don't have to, as this film is so good it should make everybody forget about that steaming pile.

THE ADVENTURES OF SHARK BOY AND LAVA GIRL IN 3-D: Robert Rodriguez is a fantastic filmmaker, but he can't win them all. To be fair, this really wasn't aimed at my age group. My 11-year old daughter loved it, for what its worth. The 3-D effects were decent, but effects do not make a story. Besides, we already saw all these tricks in Spy Kids 3-D. And that had Stallone. This one gives us....George Lopez??? No, thanks.

MADAGASCAR: I liked this more than I thought I would. Very enjoyable kids flick, with plenty of genuinely funny moments for the adults. Pixar's films are still the best of this generation of animation, though. This comes in a close second to all of those (Both "Toy Story's," "A Bug's Life," "Monsters, Inc.," "Finding Nemo," and "The Incredibles"). This was better than Shrek, which I liked a lot, but grew tired of very quickly.

WAR OF THE WORLDS: Just saw this yesterday, and was completely blown away. Spielberg can do no wrong, and Cruise's performance is so good that you forget that he's completely lost his mind in real life. Highly recommended.

The next 2 weeks are looking promising, as I plan on seeing "Fantastic Four" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," and I also have 2nd row tickets to a WWE house show coming to my town. Stay tuned to his space for all the exciting details.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?